21/08/2015

'HEALTHY' CARAMEL SLICE

So although my Dad was quite adamant in the fact that these aren’t really “that healthy”, they are gluten, dairy and processed sugar free. (And vegan if you’re into that). I posted a photo on Instagram and a few people asked me for the recipe so I thought I would pop it on here. I did use Hippie Lane’s caramel and chocolate recipe (she is amazing - go and check out her app), but made up my own base. Here is the recipe I used and I hope you love it as much as I did! 

INGREDIENTS:

Base:
1 ½  cups of almonds
½ cup desiccated coconut
7 medjool dates
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 ½ tbsp honey
¼ organic plain activated buckinis

Caramel:
1 cup medjool dates
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup almond butter
1 tbsp vanilla essence
Pinch Himalayan salt/sea salt

Chocolate:
1/3 cup cacao powder
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup natural maple syrup

METHOD:
  1. Cut open the dates and take out the pips, then cut them into quarters
  2. Put your almonds, buckinis and coconut into the food processor and blend until crumbly 
  3. Add in the coconut oil and honey and blend until the mixture sticks together on the sides of the food processor 
  4. Press the base mixture into the tin (I like to put baking paper down first) until even and firm
  5. Put the base into the freezer to set and harden
  6.  Add all caramel ingredients into the food processor and blend until thick and smooth
  7. Spread caramel mixture evenly over the base in place back in the freezer to set
  8. Whilst the caramel is setting, blend the cacao powder, coconut oil and maple syrup in the food processor (the texture should be very similar to that of normal melted chocolate)
  9. Pour chocolate mixture all over the caramel and ensure it is smoothed out completely before popping back in the freezer 
  10. Once the slice has set, cut into squares and ENJOY! (Then Instagram a photo, of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment